Welcome to Elmwood West United Methodist Church. We are a family of God who had our beginnings in 1956 when a tent revival was held by Reverend Ray Neil Johnson. Sixteen people joined the church at the end of the revival. The Reverend C.B. Melton had been appointed to be the first pastor of the church. This was a church family without a home, so it met in Radford Hall on the McMurry college campus until their church could be built.
The church was built in the 1300 block of South Pioneer Drive, and the first church service was held on May 7,1957. The church family grew and enjoyed worshiping in the sanctuary which had green fiberglass windows, asphalt floors, and theater seats which set on runners. The sanctuary also was used as the fellowship hall.
The membership continued to grow and in 1959, the south wing was completed. To better serve the needs of the congregation, a fellowship hall was added in 1981 and the narthex was expanded in 2005.
In the mid 80’s the green fiberglass windows were replaced with stain glass windows depicting the Bible through symbolism. There are 27 stained glass windows that were designed by the memorial committee and funded through memorial contributions. More stained glass was added to the narthex after the expansion in 2005.